New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChrisD
Forum Player

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  10:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been at training for a few weeks now and it's about time i spent a bit of cash to get some gear. I've looked over the newbie sheet and seen the specs of the gear i need to get but finding it is a different matter!

I can find fencing masks galore but usually only 350n and the starter sheet says 1600n is required. I assume that 350n is simply not good enough even for a starter?

The next headache is a jacket. Again, finding fencing jackets/plastrons/chestplates is easy but only up to 350n, the starter sheet recommends 800n which again is proving difficult to find.

I was hoping someone could give me a few websites to trawl and a few extra recommendations on reasonably priced kit?

I want it to be reasonably priced and safe enough to practise in and get involved in some of the sparring at training sessions. One mask i have found is this one: http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Contour_Coaching_Mask.html though i would prefer something cheaper at first and also some of the fencing masks similar to the mask on this page: http://swordpricefighters.com/foil.html and a few masks here rated 300/600n: http://www.bladesbrand.com/masks1_01.php

Any good?

Edited by - ChrisD on 26 Apr 2010 10:37:58

Mark B
Forum Master

United Kingdom
515 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  11:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forums mate! I'm at work so pardon this rushed reply.

Try this link to leon paul, this is a sabre mask but it's perfect for what you need:

http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Standard_Sabre_Masks.html

In terms of the Jacket, hold fast on this for a day or two. We need to clarify something in regards to what currently on offer (i need to ask the boss). But basicly, an 800n jacket is what you ideally need. You can go to 2 big suppliers, Lean Paul, or All star. But as i say, hold fast because currently we are saying all new starters need to be in white, but we are currently having issues now trying to find white jacks that offer up to 800n protection. essentially, this is what most of us now have:

http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Leather_Faced_Full_Body_Coaches_Plastron.html

But this is in black and we are trying to find a white version.

I'll give an update in the next few days.

In terms of a sword, I would always reccomend an Albion blunt, but for a starter you should probably look at Paul Chen Hanwei - Longswords. They are cheap but are fairly durable. Unfortuantely, at work i cannot access site that show weapons so i cannot provide any links at present. Typing Paul Chen into google usually brings up some UK websites where they are available though.

M

Go to Top of Page

ChrisD
Forum Player

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  12:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah superb, cheers.

The benefits of working in IT mean i can access anything I want :D

I was thinking about the black jackets and wondered if it would be a solution to buy a black jacket and then a slightly larger white shirt, I'll look around but i wont buy anything until a decision has been made. I know a couple of the guys at training were talking about it.

Thanks for the links
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Forum Student

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  21:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we still waiting for an update or are we now all going coach black??? Sorry if I missed the final verdict during lessons. It is always so much to take in...

Claudia
Go to Top of Page

Mark B
Forum Master

United Kingdom
515 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  09:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Claudia,

black fencing or Sabre jacket is what we have decided.

M
Go to Top of Page

Mark Lancaster
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1651 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  09:13:29  Show Profile  Visit Mark Lancaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Claudia,

We're getting your membership sorted at the moment - that'll let you into the members area where there are guidelines (either "offial" or just "advice") on:

• Swords
  • Rondels
  • Trousers and Footwear
  • Body Protection
  • Head Protection
  • Hand Protection
  • Additional Torso Protection
  • And even Equipment bags, t-shirts, etc.
Each one has a description, suppliers, pros/cons, etc.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Lancaster
Secretary
The Exiles
www.the-exiles.org.uk

Primoris - Fiore training book
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Forum Student

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  17:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks!
Looking forward to the "offal" guidelines.
Just "guts" or also "brains"?

Claudia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Exiles Forum © 2006-2012 The Exiles Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000