New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike Chidester
Forum Player

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2008 :  01:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In general, I find your translation to be excellent, and congratulate you on chasing down many words that have eluded me for some time. But one thing puzzles me: why do you translate the passato prosimo using the present perfect tense? For example, in the section I was just reading, the second play of the sword in one hand reads as follows.

Aqui io t’̣ ferido in la tua testa
Per la couerta ch’i’̣ fata acoś presta

According to the rules of modern Italian, this would be translated "Here I wounded you in your head because of the cover that I made so quickly."

However, you rendered '[h]̣ ferido' and '[h]̣ fata' using the present perfect, 'I have wounded' and 'I have made'. Is this based on some convention in Medieval Italian that I'm not yet aware of?

Michael Chidester
Senior Instructor
True Edge Academy

Rob Lovett
Forum Master

United Kingdom
361 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2008 :  12:50:20  Show Profile  Click to see Rob Lovett's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

The answer is quite simple. I am an english speaking briton, grew up in east london where learning foreign languages is not cool, so essentially I have taught myself how to read this stuff and recognise that my Grammar in any language sucks. To be honest I don't see the difference in english to the actual meaning but hey.....

Thankyou for pointing out this error, and I will go away and try to get my head around what is meant by "present perfect" in English and will make the relevant changes to our translation.

Glad we could in our humble way help you with some of the more obscure words and please if you see any other grammatical errors please feel free to point them out.

Regards
Rob

PS. Mark L, can I have an english lesson from Anne, please.
Go to Top of Page

Mark Lancaster
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1651 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2008 :  21:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Mark Lancaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

I think you're right (ignore Rob ). I'll get our translation double-checked.

Just to let you know how we do this - we're onto our 4rd revision at the moment (your seeing the 3rd revision) and the last three have worked (well for us) on a pass-forward/back process. We're trying to stay pure to the Italian as much as possible but also realising that it has to be a transliteration and this can cause its own issues. Things creep through between medieval/modern and Italian/English.

Cheers,

Mark

(PS: Rob, it's Ann - not Anne - she'll chop your cods off if you get that wrong).

Mark Lancaster
Secretary
The Exiles
www.the-exiles.org.uk

Primoris - Fiore training book
Go to Top of Page

Mike Chidester
Forum Player

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2008 :  01:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, okay, those answers both make sense. :) It's a common mistake since as far as I know Italian is the only romance language that works that way. (In Spanish, for example, 'he herido' would definitely be 'I have wounded'.)

Glad I could be of help.

Michael Chidester
Senior Instructor
True Edge Academy
Go to Top of Page

Rob Lovett
Forum Master

United Kingdom
361 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2008 :  07:26:39  Show Profile  Click to see Rob Lovett's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark,

I never said Mike was wrong. I agree with him.... Iam just saying I am too thick to kno what tense to use in english let alone a language that i am learning whilst doing some obscure language :)

Regards
Rob
Go to Top of Page

Mark Lancaster
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1651 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2008 :  18:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Mark Lancaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lovett

Iam just saying I am too thick

That was the bit I was saying to ignore - because your not

Mark Lancaster
Secretary
The Exiles
www.the-exiles.org.uk

Primoris - Fiore training book
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic