New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

steel bonnet
Master Chat Remedy

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  21:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good training weapons at an affordable price seem a bit thin on the ground, The Albions are superb, no doubt about it but they are a touch on the pricey side and there seems to be little on offer in terms of mid-priced longsword trainers.
These Tinker Pearce designs seem like they might fill the gap;
http://edgefair.com/prod_detail.aspx?id=SH2395&desc=Longsword
Any thoughts?

Heaven and earth are ruthless, and treat the myriad creatures as straw dogs.
Lao Tzu.

Edited by - steel bonnet on 05 May 2008 21:02:24

Mark Lancaster
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1651 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  23:02:59  Show Profile  Visit Mark Lancaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure - a UK price from $329 would be roughly 165, which is good. You'll probably, however, get charged VAT (30ish) and maybe import duty up to 20%, which might increase the cost around the 215-220 bracket (where Albion Europe starts to look attractive).

Also, it's a Hanwei blade, so ...... is it worth that sum????

Two alternatives to look at:

For a similar price (and end import cost) Darkwood make a nice blade - http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/plongswords.shtml

Then there's the Henwei Federschwert Sword designed by Ochs. Scroll down this page - http://www.barringtons-swords.com/english_and_european_medieval.htm - for the price it's definetly cheap

Mark Lancaster
Secretary
The Exiles
www.the-exiles.org.uk

Primoris - Fiore training book
Go to Top of Page

spike
Forum Master

United Kingdom
753 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  21:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
80 for a Federschwert!, blimey, cheap as chips. Has anybody sparred with one yet?

Si vis pacem, para bellum!.

Fortius quo fidelius.

Go to Top of Page

Gregory Mele
Forum Player

7 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  07:48:48  Show Profile  Visit Gregory Mele's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have, and can't say I care for them. To flimsy, rather like a steel shinai, and prone to taking a set/bend.

We have a pair of the Tinker's coming here for testing, so I can let you all know what I think.

Cheers,

Greg
Chicago Swordplay Guild
Go to Top of Page

steel bonnet
Master Chat Remedy

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  15:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great. I can't wait to see if these are any good or not.

Lao Tzu.
Go to Top of Page

spike
Forum Master

United Kingdom
753 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  22:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm happy I put my hand in my pocket for an Albion Lichtenauer, its really standing up well and handles superbly. I had a swing of my old Chen the other day and it felt very unbalanced in comparison (and the blade has taken a beasting!).

Si vis pacem, para bellum!.

Fortius quo fidelius.

Go to Top of Page

steel bonnet
Master Chat Remedy

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  20:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A word on these swords, In my recent experience the edge is too thin to be safe. I've had my finger end split open by one and it actually cut into that rim at the back of my Leon Paul coaching mask. In my view there's a serious accident waiting to happen with one of these swords, I think you could easily sever a finger with one.

Lao Tzu.
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Forum Student

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  17:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking back into this thread, I bought one of these Tinker Hanwei training swords and it proved a definite dissapointment. The steel of the blade seems considerably softer than usual, with massive burrs even after light training. Most importantly, after less than 4 months the bolt that keeps the pommel in place broke during training. I finally found a blade smith who will repair it, but he shook his head at the poor workmanship and the large grain of the steel of that bolt. It's a good looking sword and wonderfully light, but I would not buy it again. I don't think it's worth the money.

Claudia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Exiles Forum © 2006-2012 The Exiles Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000